Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Get Rid of Water Retention

Just earlier this week, I felt that I am bloated and that got me crazy. I still feel so puffy and heavy and my uniform is getting tight. Holy Cow! How do I become so fat in just a span of three days. My husband is laughing at me saying, "Oh you are like a big lump of water + fatty " Oh I was so upset by his remarks. I am really serious about this as I feel that it is so impossible to gain fatty deposits in a very quick span of time. I mean , I can feel the heaviness. I was not like this last week.

The cause is , Water Retention. It is one of the major health problem today. It's distressing symptoms includes: being overweight, puffiness, bloating, swollen parts of the body, and breast tenderness. This usually comes with the premenstrual package. It is this period that women experience hormonal changes in the body. In some women, there will be a surging increase of the hormone aldosterone. This hormone causes the kidney to retain fluids and the woman so suddenly gain a few water-filled pounds. While PMS is the major cause of water retention, there could be other factors that may contribute to it. One of these is kidney problem, heart , thyroid glands and liver complications may also cause this. Eating a lot of salty food can also turn your body into a water-tank.

How To to Get Rid of Water Retention?

1. Avoid eating salty food especially if your period is nearing. Sodium causes your body to retain a lot of fluid.
2. Grab and eat banana heartily like a monkey. Banana is high in Potassium that helps in eliminating water retention.
3. Use Ice packs and apply it to bloated or swelled areas where water is most retained to help them get back to normal size. Water is retained mostly on ankles, feet and your legs.
4. Eat Cabbage. It is a natural diuretic. You can prepare coleslaw salad and enjoy it.
5. Consume cranberry juice straight from the bottle. It is a good diuretic too.
6. Drink Water. You may think drinking water is not a good idea cause we're talking about water retention here. Water flushes out all that has to go out from the system. Thus drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
7. Take Vitamin A and C. Both of which help diminish the fragility of capillaries and decrease water retention.
10. Drink Herbal Teas. Tea is a good diuretic too that may help flush excess water without any harmful side-effects.



In some cases, water retention signals something more serious and be treated as emergency. If your skin remains plump or your finger leaves an indentation when you poke your skin, you may have a problem with your heart, kidneys, liver or thyroid. When the later are observable , directly seek for medical help.

No comments:

Post a Comment